Link up with us on Facebook, Twitter or email

Monthly Carindale Community Forum

The Carindale & Eastern Suburbs Community Forum – started and hosted by local Glenn Millar – is held on the last Wednesday of every month in the Reflections Room, Pacific Golf Club, Pine Mountain Rd, Carindale.
Please note there is NO FORUM in December and January.

Next Forum is Wednesday 24 February 2016, 7pm.

Guest speakers include: Kerryn Loose Jones (Doboy Candidate, ALP) & Adrian Schrinner (Deputy Mayor & Councillor for the Chandler Ward, LNP).

All welcome. No need to RSVP, just turn up.

If you want to suggest a speaker or agenda item – just contact Glenn Millar (the group’s founder and host) glenn.millar@remax.com.au or 0414 991 474.

Previous Forums

November

> Stefan Hattingh of Bulimba Creek Catchment Committee (Carindale). Talking about the Common Myna Bird (invasive species) problem and how the community get involved.
> Lori Marshall of Lori Marshall Physiotherapy & Ideal Carers (Carindale-based)

October
> Cr Adrian Schrinner, Deputy Mayor & Councillor for Chandler Ward
> Mark McDonnell of Community Friends (helping the homeless)
> John Pearcy of John Pearcy Audiology at Old Cleveland Rd, Carina.

September

> Steven Dale, author.

August

> Joel Stevenson from Amnesty International, Carindale.

June

> Councillor for the Chandler Ward & Deputy Mayor Adrian Schrinner.

March

> Rachel Smith  – Rachel is an Author, Blogger, Speaker and a Principal Transport Planner at AECOM in Brisbane.   More details >>

> Rowan Baxter – Integr8 Fitness – Rowan has been in the fitness industry for 15 years and is an ex NRL player and has had 3 seasons with the NZ Warriors.

February Forum

> Non-profit organisation, Musically Speaking
> Campbell from Minnippi Parkrun give us an update on the continued success of the parkrun.

November Forum

> Diana Bromley – local travel agent.  Diana has lived in the Carindale area for approximately 32 years. She has had her own business for 16 years.
> Dr Gigi Sutton & Louise Sutton (sisters) – Directors of Sort Organise Support.
> State Emergency Services (SES) Eastern Group

October

> Damien Lee of Studio Theatre & Cafe (Morningside)
> Ros and Mario Bono – Fermented food experts (Mansfield)

September

Guest Speakers

> Rod Lovell.
> Stephen Dale – author

July

A barber’s quarter and a presentation on fire safety.

June

Brett NoyBrett Noy of Uncle Bob’s Bakery
Brett is the managing director of Uncle Bobs Bakery and Creative Crusts Baking Company. He is co-founder of the Not for Profit organization Southern Cross Baking Group in Brisbane. Most recently Brett placed 3rd in the Bakery Masters in Paris, and he is the 1st Australian Baker to ever be invited to judge at the worlds most prestigious baking competition, the Coupe du Monde del la Boulangerie.

Prison Fellowship Australia - QLDDavid Way of Prison Fellowship Australia (Qld)
David is Qld Excecutive Director of this not for profit organisation which serves victims of crime, prisoners, ex-prisoners and their children and works to build a safer community by influencing the Justice System to adopt a more Restorative Justice approach.

May

>Kerri Ballie, Carindale Library
> Wayne Cameron of Bulimba Creek Catchment Coordinating Committee.

April

> Scott Johnson from Rockaway Records at Westfield Carindale. This store is the last of the real independent music shops! We had a fascinating chat about music memorabilia, collectables and more!

March

Guest speaker:  Sharon Whip has recently commenced as the School Community Partnership Broker at The Smith Family’s Mount Gravatt office.  As a Partnership Broker Sharon works with schools, community & business on projects that support young people in the Carindale, Cannon Hill, Carina, Holland Park, Camp Hill and Mount Gravatt areas. The School Business Community Partnership Brokers program fosters a whole-of-community approach to supporting young people as they learn and develop—with a key goal of improving retention, school to work transitions  and work readiness skills, particularly in those students who are at risk of disengaging.  Sharon’s previous work experience also focussed on supporting schools to make education a reality for vulnerable children and young people, by harnessing community and corporate resources (volunteers, mentors, goods and services) for schools.

February

Guest speaker: Jane Milburn is an agricultural scientist by training – and her first professional job was as ABC rural reporter working in radio and television in Victoria and Queensland. Now Jane is on a 365-day journey with the Sew it Again project to inspire creative upcycling of natural fibre clothing. In between those two endeavours, Jane worked as a journalist with regional and urban newspapers and as a communications consultant running campaigns for various health and rural groups. Her campaigns included the 612ABC Swap It Challenge for health groups, Save the Aussie Banana for banana growers, water fluoridation for Queensland dentists, and Every Family Needs A Farmer for AgForce. Sew it Again is a campaign of Jane’s own making in which she is demonstrating upcycling every day to share a different way of dressing that is mindful of the Earth’s finite resources. Jane’s purpose is to inspire creative reuse of natural fibre garments through resewing at home – in the interests of empowerment, thrift, sustainability, ecological health and wellbeing.

It was great to have local identities Steve Minnikin MP (State member for Chatsworth), Paul Keene (Labor), Dave Nelson (Greens) and Naomi Lim (journalist, South East Advertiser) in attendance.

November

We had Campbell and Carmel of the new Minnippi Parkrun speak to the group. The parkrun is a fantastic healthy and community-minded activity. We also had the great Carindale Rotary calendars for sale. Then we just had a fun and casual chit-chat and a drink to celebrate the last forum for the year!

6 Responses to “Monthly Carindale Community Forum”

1. A great surprise tonight! Just for going along to the community forum and registering with Power Purchasing Group, I get an opportunity to lower my power bill by around 10% (I am an international ‘Certified Purchasing Manager’, so I know a good opportunity when I see one.)

And great information from the heart foundation. Glad they explained about who to give or not give the aspirin to.

2. Hi everyone, just to let you know, at our next community meeting I have organised The Heart Foundation to give a presentation on How to Live Longer and Healthier – we all need tips on that !! It will be on Wed 29th Feb, at 7pm – Belmont State School (cnr Scrub Rd & Old Cleveland Rd, Carindale). Come along and meet lots of locals. Have a chat a cuppa and a laugh – get involved with Our Community !! Invite other neighbours to come along.
    I would appreciate any locals who could help me letterbox drop our information flyers for this info night. I drop about 2000 flyers and I still don’t cover all the area – if you can help walk a few streets and drop some of our flyers please call me on 0414 99 14 74 – cheers ….Glenn Millar

3. I’m looking forward to the 2012 series of community forums at the Belmont State School.
    I’ve found the forums to be a great way to meet my neighbours and have an informal chat over a cuppa, after listening to a speaker presenting topics of local interest.

4. Our next Carindale Community Forum is shaping up to be a beauty. Due to popular demand we will be repeating the presentation given by a Solicitor at a previous forum I organised focusing on Wills, Powers of Attorney and Advance Health Directives. These things are a lot trickier to organise properly than we first realise and the information is entirely relevant to people of any age, family unit or marital status. You don’t want to miss this one.

5. Thanks for your feedback Ron. So are you saying that real estate agents should have less of a right to advertise than other industries? If you see it as ugly, do you think the issue is more about advertising generally and how it’s done? There are many in the community who still don’t use the internet unfortunately, but that aside, do you feel that this is something actually worth legislating against? Should an ‘ugly’ billboard sign advertising food come under the same ban that you’re considering for real estate agents?

6. COMMUNITY FORUM TOPIC.

LETS STOP ALL REAL ESTATE AGENTS FROM ADVERTISING ANYWHERE ELSE THAN ON THE PROPERTY FOR SALE. NO SIGNS ON BUSSTOPS, BILLBOARDS ETC – ITS UNNECESSARY AND UGLY – EVERYONE KNOWS NOW TO GO TO THE INTERNET ANYWAY IT SHOULD BE STOPPED.

Leave a Comment

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

(required)

(required but not published)